Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Torn Apart

Torn Apart, w/c, 3" x 4"
This is the third of my 30 Non-Objective Paintings in January 2019. 

I use photographs to inspire me, but I don't try to depict anything from the photo. No, I won't share or discuss with you the inspiration, which wold no doubt slant your vision. Instead, I'd like to know what it is you see here.

Although I try not to represent things in the painting, you will bring to the table a vision of what it looks like to you. That's a natural response, one that is much desired and needed. Your brain is designed to do that, so don't fight it. However, since there are no things present, if your thoughts merge from one place or thing into another, go with that and see where it leads you.

That's one of the beautiful things about successful non-objective paintings.

What particularly pleases me in this painting is the palette of colors, which pairs delicate "baby" colors with bold contrasting values. I enjoy the suggested details that create a vague triangle in the composition, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment