Thursday, April 12, 2018

30 Animals In January 2018--Animal #1

Too long away from regularly painting, in January 2018 I decided to paint 30 Animal Paintings in a month. I needed to challenge myself because I would be teaching a class that involved painting animals and needed to warm up. I chose many animal photos from a wide variety of sources, including ones from a great app called Sktchy (it's an iOS app only at present), and from friends who allowed me to use their pet pictures. I decided not to force anything except the act of drawing/painting. I wanted these to be fun, exploratory, and playful.

Animal #1



















This little guy is 6x6", done in a sketchpad I had on hand. I used some watercolor pencils, exploring them anew after not having touched them in years. I like his jaunty, relaxed look. A little cartoonish, I decided not to judge myself too harshly, but to enjoy what there was to like about it.

It was a good start to a month long challenge, with room for growth and a little bit of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment