Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Viviane's Roses

Viviane's Roses, gouache on Arches 300 c/p, 2.5" x 3.5" 
I haven't painted a lot recently, having become involved in a family genealogy project that has sapped all my time, but I recently realized that I needed to do something that wouldn't involve mousing around. The ache between my shoulder blades often reminds me that I've become too compulsive! Treatment is a delight: I sit at the dining table with my box of paints and while away a day in a completely different posture and mindset. It's very refreshing.

The entire time I painted this little one, I kept reminding myself to just have some fun. When I'm out of practice, my paintings get somewhat more realistic, mostly because I have to prove something about my ability to paint what's there. I'm not free and easy and open with strokes and mixtures and the like until I've consistently practiced for a while. But for a realistic piece, this one is pretty relaxed and I really like it. A Facebook friend said it looks Victorian. I agree, but I can't quite put my finger on the reason why. The photo I used, on loan from a friend, was a lot less structured. I added the suggestion of a vase.

Favorite part: The star of the show rose at the bottom pleases me. I painted the flowers in three stages: medium, dark and light. I particularly like the juicy pink petal at the bottom, as it catches the light and comes forward nicely. Sometimes thicker paint is useful that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment